Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cheese & Sprinkles!

Today was an awesome day!  Went to Weight Watchers and lost 4.2 pounds this week!  I was so excited!  I knew this week's weigh in was going to be successful because I had tracked EVERYTHING I ate each day.  I didn't go over any points & I also worked out 3 times.  It's amazing the momentum you can build once when you set your mind to it.  I also knew that today was going to be a challenge for me because of the baby shower I was co-hosting.  A few days ago, I took out my planner & noted the days of December that I saw as potential "food challenge" days, or game days.  I knew that temptation would be right in front of me, (or under my nose & on my fork) and that I needed to have a plan.  Today, my opponent was cake.  Now as my friend & I planned the baby shower, we made sure that we were going to have healthy food options.  We had a beautiful mix of fruit...strawberries, pineapple, and mangoes.  Yum!  (0 pts. got love it!!!) We also had a veggie tray with dip and even some tortilla chips with salsa.  All that fairly healthy.  My arch nemesis though...was the sweet & simple sheet cake that my friend made.  It wasn't anything that you would find in the fancy downtown bakeries or in a gourmet cooking magazine, but it sure had my eye.  Simple white cake with fluffy vanilla frosting.  Okay, I can deal with this.  No problem, right?  She had cute little plastic baby decorations on and....uh oh....UH OH...what was that pretty green sparkly stuff on the white frosting...yep, sugar sprinkles!!!  If you have ever seen the movie Rio, you will know what I mean when I say, "Cheese & Sprinkles".  Yep, it was a cheese & sprinkles kind of moment.  I don't know what it is about adding sugar sprinkles to frosting, but I think it makes the cake or cookie or whatever it is you are eating, taste 100000% better than without it.  It's pretty & it has that oh so very light crisp to it.  It makes it, ah, perfect!  So I enjoyed my 1 square of cake and then sat there licking my spoon making sure I was finishing every sweet morsel of the treat, when the evil thought of having more came to mind.  I, after all, was the one cutting the cake & serving it.  As I sat there looking at the cake & smelling the sweet vanilla frosting, I was reminded about one thing my Weight Watchers leader had said.  "You can have it, but before you do, ask yourself, is it worth it? And if it is, you got to count it."  So, as I was sitting there mentally hyperventallating about my decision, I realized it wasn't worth it.  So I got up, & moved myself away from the temptation.  It wasn't the easiest decision but it was much easier when I had thought it through.

So, when you have a cheese & sprinkles kind of moment, remember to take a moment and ask yourself, is it really worth it?  Success comes making good choices, one choice at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment